Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Overweight Dog

Houston, we have a problem! I called the mobile groomer in on Sunday to get Ruth clipped down for the coming spring and summer months. All that Husky undercoat really makes her hot. Come to find out that all what I thought was just a winter coat was 5 lbs of weight Ruth had gained over the winter. She is now a "fluffly" dog - no pun intended.

So what do I do? I have a weight problem myself, one caused by hypothyroidism, exhausted adrenals and just plain over-indulging. I never dieted until I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 11 years ago and had gained an enormous amount of weight over a short period of time (a few months, almost 100 lbs.). Before that, whereas I was 10 to 15 percent overweight depending on how active I was, I never worried about it.

11 years and numerous different diets later, my gallbladder had to be removed and according to my doc was the result of the dieting. I've not been strictly dieting since and I haven't gained a pound. Now, I think if I went on one of those diets, I'd actually lose weight! Not that there weren't a couple of diets that I did lose weight on - 1) 750 calories a day lost 50 lbs in 4 months and got really sick and 2) total vegetarian with no grains at all and lost 30 lbs in 6 months. Getting my gall bladder caused another 15 lb weight loss for a total so far of 45 lbs. The rest didn't do a thing and some caused weight gain. I even joined three different gyms hoping for the calories in / calories out thing to work - waste of money.

There is no way I'd put Ruth through what I've gone through in trying to lose weight. I will not experiement on my dog. So I started my research. I knew that most people think calories in / calories out, but after my own experiences, I don't believe that for a minute, especially not when there are other health problems involved.

Most of the web sites I visited and the vets I talked to think calories in / calories out and their reccommendations are more exercise and less calories. Ok, even though I don't particularly believe in that philosophy for myself, I thought I'd try it on Ruth. I can't increase her exercise - she gets plenty now. Half hour run on the bicycle in the morning, 45 minute walk in the afternoon most days (or vice versa). So it's cut her food which I've started doing.

Now comes the wait for the weight loss. Stay tuned.

Action vs Reaction

  It is easy to spend your time reacting to your dog's unwanted behavior. For   Example... ·          Yelling "No!" after he...